DoubleTree by Hilton Harrogate, Majestic Hotel & Spa
Escalator removal, kitchen lift installation, goods lift refurbishment, two passenger lift refurbishments.
The DoubleTree by Hilton Harrogate Majestic Hotel & Spa is a turn of the century hotel, which rebranded as a DoubleTree in autumn 2019. There were two phases to the project, carried out in consecutive years. In 2018, we removed a redundant escalator that connected two kitchens.
The escalator was taking up too much room and so it was taken out to make way for a new staircase and service lift to one floor, for staff to move laundry, food, drink and themselves around the hotel away from the guests’ view.
In summer 2019, we were back to refurbish two guest lifts and a 7-floor goods lift. Because the existing goods lift was so unreliable with frequent breakdowns, staff had been using the guest lift instead to operate housekeeping across six floors.
The project included:
Escalator removal and goods lift installation:
- Full removal of the escalator
- Installation of the new service lift out of guest view
- New control systems – upgraded to an open protocol system
- Remote access via an app
- Complete rewire
- New operating buttons in the car
- New ceilings with LED lightings
- Overhaul of the door equipment
- Cleaned and painted in the lift shaft and motor rooms
The guest lifts now look fresh and new and are no longer used by staff.
- Re-roping the hoisting ropes
- Re-balancing; which had been the cause of some of the breakdowns
- New safety gear system
- Manual gates replaced with automatic
- New lift car
- New landing
- New operating buttons
The goods lift now allows staff to move around the hotel easily and out of view of the guests, making housekeeping much easier and as it should be.